Indian Voice

Your Opinions

Uncategorized

Cricket-Surprised Watson eyes World T20 spot in Australia squad

- No Comments -

SYDNEY Australia all-rounder Shane Watson admitted his call up to the squad for a home Twenty20 series against India has come as a “pleasant surprise” after he was overlooked for the ongoing one-day international series against the same opponents.

Since his final appearance in September, Australia have preferred Mitchell Marsh to Watson, who retired from tests after last year’s Ashes series in England, for the all-rounder slot in the one-day team.

The 34-year-old, once the golden boy of Australian cricket, conceded that he may never be picked for the 50-over format again after he failed to earn selection for the five-match series against India that the hosts currently lead 3-0.

“It is a pleasant surprise,” Watson told reporters on Monday, indicating his form for Sydney Thunder in the Big Bash League had contributed to the call up.

“It came down to me really wanting to play for the Thunder and doing well for them over this BBL, and whatever happened from there with the Aussie side of things I wasn’t worrying about it at all anymore.

“After being dropped from the one-day squad, I knew that my international days were probably nearly over. So it’s nice to get that surprise and get that call from (chief selector) Rod Marsh yesterday.”

Watson’s rise to prominence after a poor start in the BBL forced selectors to take notice and he could also be in line for a spot in Australia’s squad for the World Twent20 in India, starting in March.

Watson said he worked with former South Africa all-rounder Jacques Kallis, who also plays for Thunder, made a few adjustments and has felt good about his batting again.

“It’s very nice to still be one of the old guys even though I don’t feel that old. Thirty four didn’t seem that old when I was playing but it is nowadays with the amount of cricket that’s being played,” added Watson, who has been a regular feature in Indian Premier League (IPL) T20 tournament.

“That would be the goal (World T20) that’s for sure. It’s nice to know I’ve had a lot of experience over in India, playing a lot of IPL tournaments and having some success over there as well.”

(Writing by Sudipto Ganguly in Mumbai; Editing by John O’Brien)


Source: R-Csports

Tags:

India wants NALCO to buy back shares from govt worth $481 million – govt official

- No Comments -
Business News | Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:39pm IST

NEW DELHI |

NEW DELHI The finance ministry wants state-run NALCO (NALU.NS) to buy back 25 percent of its shares from the government worth 32.5 billion rupees ($481 million), a senior government official told Reuters, as the government’s plans to raise about $10 billion from asset sales fall way short of targets.

“The market scenario for divestments is not good,” Mines Secretary Balvinder Kumar said on Monday. “NALCO had already agreed to buy back 10 percent but their board will now decide whether to purchase more.”

Last week the finance ministry wrote to the mines ministry, which controls the government’s 89 percent holding in NALCO, seeking help to raise more much-needed funds. The government has managed to raise less then a fifth of the roughly $10 billion it had projected in divestments for 2015-2016.

A finance ministry spokesman could not immediately be reached for comment.

($1 = 67.5375 rupees)

(Reporting by Krishna N. Das; Editing by Kenneth Maxwell)

Source: R-Business

Tags:

Cricket-Injured Finn likely to miss fourth South Africa test

- No Comments -

JOHANNESBURG England seamer Steven Finn appears likely to miss the fourth test against South Africa, which starts on Friday in Pretoria, because of a side strain, team officials confirmed on Monday.

Finn felt tightness in his left side during England’s series-clinching victory at the Wanderers and was sent for scans on Sunday, the day after England’s dramatic seven-wicket win put the tourists 2-0 ahead with one test to play.

However, head coach Trevor Bayliss remains pessimistic about his chances of playing in the final test, paving the way for Chris Woakes, Chris Jordan or Mark Footitt to vie for a starting role at Centurion as England target an emphatic 3-0 success.

“To be honest I doubt very much whether he’ll be available for the next test,” Bayliss told reporters. “We’ll have to wait and see how bad it is and make a decision on the one-day and Twenty20 series (following the tests).

“But at this stage it looks like we have to make a replacement there heading into the last test,” Bayliss added.

“That’s unfortunate because I thought he was probably our most dangerous bowler in the first two tests.” Woakes played in the first test in Durban when England’s record wicket-taker James Anderson sat out with a calf strain while Jordan and uncapped Footitt did not feature in any of the first three matches of the series.

(Reporting by Mark Gleeson in Cape Town; Editing by John O’Brien)


Source: R-Csports

Tags:
Show MapHide Map