Indian Voice

Your Opinions

Chennai

Showcause notice issued to 30 nursery and primary schools in Coimbatore

- No Comments -
COIMBATORE: The district elementary education officer has issued showcause notices to 30 nursery and primary schools in Coimbatore which are functioning without recognition.

District elementary education officer P Gandhimathi initiated the process of checking erring nursery and primary schools in the city last month.

TOI reported that preliminary verbal accounts showed that around 50 nursery and primary schools were functioning without recognition certificate from the school education department.

Assistant elementary education officers were visiting the schools in their blocks and verifying the documents. As a result, a partial report of the check in the city was submitted to the district elementary education officer last week.

“We issued showcause notices to 30 nursery and primary schools on Wednesday evening. The schools either did not renew the continuous recognition or did not even obtain a recognition certificate from us,” said Gandhimathi.

The schools have been given 15 days to respond to the showcause notices. “We have asked them (school management) to submit their explanation for not renewing or obtaining the recognition certificate. We will decide the next step based on their explanations,” she said.

However, it is likely that the school education department might extend the time for submitting the explanation, as it had provided an extended date last year too.

“Generally, schools explanation are considered by the department unless there is a grave violation. School generally do not satisfy the norms of the department for recognition, and this hesitate to apply for the recognition from us,” a senior official of the department requesting anonymity said.

“The schools are given 40-50 days to fix the irregularities and apply for recognition. Then the department initiates the inspection process, and on satisfaction, the department issues the recognition to the schools,” the official said.

“Those schools that fail to fix the irregularities are issued closure notices in April,” Gandhimathi said, adding that there might be more schools in the city which might receive the showcause notices.

“We are still checking the schools, and the moment we find them, a notice will be issued,” she said.

Stay updated on the go with Times of India News App. Click here to download it for your device.

Source: TOI-Che

Tags:

TN minister files defamation case against Tamil weekly

- No Comments -
CHENNAI: Tamil Nadu minister for information technology Mukkur N Subramanian has slapped a criminal defamation complaint against Tamil weekly Ananda Vikatan for publishing an allegedly defamatory article in its issue on June 17, 2015.

City public prosecutor M L Jegan filed the complaint in the principal sessions court here on behalf of the minister.

According to the complaint, the article was written with a mala fide intention to tarnish his image and published without proper verification of facts.

The complaint cited the magazine’s editor, R Kannan, and printer, Madhavan, as accused.

Stay updated on the go with Times of India News App. Click here to download it for your device.

Source: TOI-Che

Tags:

Madras HC dismisses contractor’s three similar pleas, imposes Rs 50,000 cost on him

- No Comments -
MADURAI: The Madurai bench of the Madras high court on Thursday dismissed three similar petitions filed a by a contractor and imposed a cost of Rs, 50,000 on him.

The contractor, R Kumar in Kanyakumari, applied for a tender on October 9 to carry out construction of a health centre at Thollavilai in Nagercoil municipality. However, the municipality passed a resolution on October 15 to cancel the tender. Hence, he moved the court praying to quash the municipality’s notification and to direct the civic body to award the tender to him.

Justice K Ravichandrabaabu, who heard his case, found that Kumar had filed three petitions on the same issue. Thus, the judge dismissed all the petitions.

“The petitioner’s conduct would show without any doubt that he is not having any bona fide. On the other hand, he wanted to abuse the process of this court as far as possible by suppressing material facts till he gets an order in his favour. Hence, he is not entitled to be heard,” said the judge.

The court said that if such a person was allowed freely, it would send a wrong signal to the litigant public. Accordingly, the court directed the petitioner to pay Rs 50,000 to the Tamil Nadu Chief Minister’s Relief Fund within two weeks of the receipt of its order.

Stay updated on the go with Times of India News App. Click here to download it for your device.

Source: TOI-Che

Tags:
Show MapHide Map