Mumbai: Even as the new recreational ground-playground policy of BMC is set to be tabled before the civic improvements committee on Monday, citizen activists have said it’s essential that the BMC first takes over those open plots given to politicians under the previous caretaker policy. Meanwhile, the committee chaired by the BJP politico has said they would be full-fledged supporting the policy, which had been stuck for several years.

While bringing the new policy before BJPleaders in the first week of October, BMC scrapped the caretaker policy, which was in the eye of controversy due to misuse of open spaces. The BMC will henceforth allot city opens spaces only on adoption basis, which does not allow any construction.

However a discrepancy pointed out by opposition party corporators is that the policy mentions that all applicants for caretakers having applied prior to December 31, 2014 and who can prove to have spent Rs 3 crore on the adopted plot, can be upgraded to caretaker status. Harish Pandey of New Link Road Residents Forum, Dahisar, said if the BMC was looking at revisiting the policy, it should be doing it in a full-fledged manner. “The caretaker policy should not be in existence in any way. The BMC should take over all those plots, especially those which have been misused, and allot them to citizen groups and genuine stakeholders instead of politicians,” said Pandey.

Improvements committee chief Prakash Gangadhare said they are in support of the policy. “It’s a good policy and we will support it,” he said. Congress corporator Mohsin Haider said they would be opposing the policy. “It appears to favour a certain class of people, with the caretaker clause being applicable to those having applied before December 31, 2014,” said Haider.

Stay updated on the go with Times of India News App. Click here to download it for your device.

Source: TOI-MUM